Country Roads of Portugal - Preview 2021
Country Roads Of Portugal – Preview 2021
Portugal’s great New World discoveries brought the country trade and wealth, and left their mark throughout the Kingdom. Witness this legacy, from the sunny beaches of the Algarve to the vineyards of the Douro Valley.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pastéis de Belém, made to the same secret recipe for over 200 years.
- Monsaraz: Meet a local boat captain and join him for a leisurely cruise, followed by a delicious Alentejo Highlight Lunch in a local restaurant that was once an olive oil mill.
- Porto: Shared experiences and memories are often the foundation for special bonds and friendships. Toast your travels with wine and good cheer during your Celebration Dinner at a restaurant in Porto, devoted to the enjoyment of regional cooking.
- Dining Summary: 10 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch with Wine (LW) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Monsaraz: Meet a local boat captain and hear tales of life upon the water during your leisurely cruise.
Top Rated Highlights
- Lisbon: There is no better way to explore a city, than with your Local Expert. Wander from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. In the Belém Quarter see the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belém Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Jerónimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries.
- Lagos: Explore this coastal town nestled on Meia Praia, with your Travel Director.
- Evora: Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site guided by your Local Expert and see the famous Roman Temple. While sightseeing, witness the fascinating cathedral one of the oldest in Evora and be charmed by its mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
- Evora: Witness one of the most visited sites in Evora, the fascinating Capela dos Ossos, meaning the Chapel of Bones, a chapel decorated with human remains.
- Monsaraz: Surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards, wander through the castle ruins to admire the incredible view over the Spanish plains that contrast with the blue of one of Europe’s largest artificial lakes.
- Obidos: Lead by your Travel Director, walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town.
- Tomar: Dominating the town is the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Templar Castle and the Convent of Christ. During your visit with a Local Expert, see the Manueline Window and follow the story of the mysterious Knights Templar.
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions or see the basilica.
- Tomar: Guided by your Local Expert, visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal.
- Tomar: Learn about the history of the town through its architectural influences as you take a tour guided by a Local Expert.
- Coimbra: With a Local Expert, visit the University and witness the triumphal arches, painted ceilings, golden flourishes and walls of ancient tomes.
- Coimbra: Guided by your Local Expert, head through Old Town and pass by the Old Cathedral and the Almedina neighbourhood.
- Guimarães: Enjoy views from the ruined castle and explore the maze of streets in the historic Old Quarter.
- Porto: See the iconic bridges and buildings decorated in tiles.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and enjoy the view as you travel through the Alentejo region and along the Tagus and Douro rivers.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Welcome to Lisbon.
Lisbon and the Age of the Great Discoveries.
Monsaraz and Évora.
Scenic drive to Óbidos, Fátima and Tomar.
Coimbra, the Douro and Pinhão.
GUIMARÃES AND PORTO.
Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro.
Return to Lisbon.